One of the assignments in Lynn Whipple’s online class, “Making Faces” is to draw half of your own face.
Here I am – wrinkles and all after a long day working at the office:
Lucky for me, we got to order pizza for dinner! YAY! 😉
This was a really fun assignment and I encourage you to give it a try! This is how I did it:
- Take a piece of inexpensive paper (then you won’t feel like you are wasting it).
- Stand in front of the mirror with your piece of paper and a pencil.
- Decide where the top of your head is on your paper and make a mark.
- Mark in pencil where the following is on your paper (next to your face): Eye, eyebrow, nose, ear, lips and chin. Now, loosely draw these features with a light touch while holding the paper up to your face.
- Once you get an idea where the lines need to be, make stronger lines, erase as needed. Keep checking with your face in a mirror.
I found this exercise extremely helpful in understanding the layout of a face better.
Happy Drawing – Cheers! 🙂