I am experimenting with watercolor and gouache for my “Square-A-Day” project for July since it is World Watercolor Month at Doodlewash.com
Charlie at Doodlewash has excellent creative prompts for each day but I decided to go with the flow and allow my brush (or imagination) tell me what it wants to do!
Below are my first 10 watercolor squares for the first 10 days of July:
Perhaps my inspiration will spark an idea for your art too:
1. New watercolor brush – #4 Raphael Kolinsky from Blick. First expensive watercolor brush I have purchased. I like the fine tip for tiny details like the petals on my imaginary flowers. I used gouache and added a few details with a black Micron pen.
2. Used dip pen with Saji nib to draw my sunflower and colored it with watercolor. Inspired by Susan Feniak’s post on July 2nd.
3. Painted background in watercolor – looks like summer colors to me! Drew leaf with black .01 and .03 Micron pens using inspiration from Peggy Dean’s book, “Botanical Line Drawing.”
4. 4th of July! Ate corn-on-cob for dinner. Started by painting paper yellow, drew corn with a black Micron pen by looking at an online image. Added a little watercolor to some of the kernels. The actual corn was delish!
5. FINALLY a sunny day at the lake! I splashed in the lake and watercolors on paper. 🙂
6. Inspired by a pattern I saw in Uppercase Magazine. I painted in watercolor and added doodles with black Micron pen and a white Signo gel pen. This reminds me of summer camp and a badge earned… I never got to go to camp as a kid but I always thought it would be fun.
7. Eating creamsicle popsicles on a hot summer day! Watercolor and Signo white gel pen. It always amazes me how color and patterns takes me back in time…
8. Blueberries ripening in my yard. Love the sweetness of these blue gems! Messed up a little on the shading so added dots with a Micron pen.
9. Daddy Long-Legs – see my previous post. Nature inspires a lot of my art!
10. Wings from a Common Buckeye Butterfly – thanks Mike Powell for your awesome photo to inspire me on this one!
I hope you enjoyed reading what inspired me to create my first 10 watercolor squares!
I will post the rest of my squares at the end of July…
Posted in #worldwatercolormonth, A Square A Day, art challenge, Drawing, imagination, nature, Uncategorized, Watercolor
Tagged #worldwatercolormonth, blueberries, color play, creative play, drawing, flowers, fun, gouache, imagination, inspiration, nature, watercolor
I am still enjoying my square-a-day project, can you believe it has been 6 months?
I gave myself a theme for June. Can you guess what it is? Of course, many of you already know from my sneak peak earlier in the month.
I thought it was interesting how the 4th vertical row shares a similar color value when I lined them up yesterday.
What doodles and patterns stand out for you? I hope you share them with me!
I have declared the month of June to be doodle month for my Square-A-Day project. I look forward to showing you all my squares at the end of this month… but here is a sneak preview:
Drawing doodles or patterns is something I find calming and relaxing. I did this one in my art journal with color pencils recently:
It looks like I am planting patterns like rows of flowers or vegetables in a garden!
Patterns and inspiration are everywhere…
Like this photo I took recently at the lake. The moon was almost full!
There are patterns in the water, the trees and the sky!
I hope you will be inspired by the patterns in your world!
Posted in A Square A Day, Art Journal, color pencil, Doodles, imagination, Lake, Mixed Media, nature, Uncategorized
Tagged A Square A Day, art journal, color pencils, Colorful, creative play, doodles, imagination, inspiration, lake, mixed media art, nature, patterns, Planting ideas, relaxation
It seems amazing that a new month, June has begun…
Time to show you my square-a-day project for May!
I hope you are enjoying this project as much as I am!
P.S. What colors appeal to you? Please share!
Posted in A Square A Day, Color, Mixed Media, Uncategorized
Tagged A Square A Day, color experiments, creative inspiration, daily art, fun, May’s squares, mixed media art, patterns, playful
I’m so excited to show you my April squares!
I’d love to hear what squares inspire YOU!
Hello May! So happy that warmer weather is on the way…
May brings weekends at the lake and reuniting with our lake friends…
Mother’s Day and celebrating with my MIL…
Celebrating 35 years of marriage with my husband… WHOOT!
And redecorating our bedroom and bath! (Our anniversary gift to each other, we have lived in our home for 22 years… wow, time does fly!)
What does May bring for you?
Posted in A Square A Day, art challenge, imagination, Mixed Media, Uncategorized, Whimsical Art
Tagged A Square A Day, April squares, Colorful, creative play, inspiration, mixed media art, smile
A new month has arrived which means I get to show you my March square-a-day project:
I have a little more yellow in this one…possibly I have been thinking of sunshine and warmer days ahead!
I hope you share your favorite squares with me!
Posted in A Square A Day, Mixed Media, Uncategorized
Tagged A Square A Day, Colorful, creative play, daily art, fun, March, mixed media art, pattern play, smile
I’m pleased to announce the winner of my postcard art contest goes to Kerfe at Methodtwomadness
Please email me your address Kerfe to Jillwcm@comcast.net and I will put your postcard in the mail!
Thank you to those who participated in the drawing! I plan to do another one in the future so stay tuned! 🙂
Below is my Square-A-Day Project for February:
What square makes you smile?
Posted in A Square A Day, art challenge, Mixed Media, postcards, smile, Uncategorized, Whimsical Art
Tagged A Square A Day, Colorful, creative play, daily art, humor, mixed media art, postcard art, smile, whimsical
I enjoyed creating a square a day in the month of January. Perhaps you remember my project? If not, you can find out more about it: A Square A Day…
I wrote the date and notes on the back of each square to remind myself what inspired me or what class I was working on. It was fun to read them again yesterday.
Do you have a favorite square? I’d love to hear from you!
I’m excited to see what inspires me in February! ❤️
Perhaps you remember my post last week where I told you about my Square A Day project. If not, you can read more about it here: A Square A Day…
I recently finished the square doodle that inspired the idea for my project:
I’ve titled it, Be Square!
I created a box for my 2019 square project with monthly dividers. I am writing notes on the back of each card with the date, description and inspiration for the square. I may use my completed squares for inspiration when I get stuck in a creative rut in the future.
Below are six squares I have completed for January:
I find myself paying more attention to my environment and ideas I could use for future squares…
I think for once in my life, I’m OK to be square!
Posted in A Square A Day, art challenge, Color, Doodles, imagination, paper collage, Uncategorized, Watercolor
Tagged A Square A Day, art challenge, color play, creative ideas, creative play, daily art, doodle, drawing, imagination, inspiration, paper collage, patterns, smile
Happy New Year Friends!!
Have YOU put on a your creative thinking cap(s) for 2019?
I purchased this art book a few years ago…
It is just the daily inspiration I need in the new year!
I made a book-marker for it… You can see I have a square as part of my design (see yesterday’s post).
What inspiration will YOU use in your creativity in the new year? I hope you share it with me!
Cheers to new creative discoveries! 🙂
Posted in A Square A Day, Art, Art Journal, book review, Drawing, Faces, imagination, Uncategorized
Tagged A Square A Day, art journal, book review, bookmarker, creative inspiration, drawing, faces, gelli-printed paper, happy new year, inspiration, learning, sketchbook