For some strange reason, Kenny Roger’s song, The Gambler was running through my mind as I was preparing for today’s post.
Yes, I am aware that I changed my title a little different than the song’s lyrics. 🙂
I wanted to show you how I created the tie-dye affect with tissue paper in Tuesday’s post that you can find here, if you missed it: Swedish Tracing Paper
Below is a photo of the supplies I used:
I used Dr. Ph. Martin’s colored india inks, rubber bands, a water spritzer, a plastic palette and plastic gloves.
*The papers I used for today’s experiment were white tissue paper, Swedish Tracing Paper (sewn on my sewing machine) and deli paper.
First, I sprayed the tissue paper with water and folded it. I used an accordion fold, then folded the paper in half and quarters.
Lastly, I wrapped a rubber band tightly around the tissue paper and added colored ink. The plastic palette gives a place for the ink bundle to dry.
Below are my 3 bundles of the different *papers I used for this experiment:
The rubberband acts as a resist to the ink but also how the paper is folded. I let them dry but sped up the process with a hair dryer so I could show you the results.
The tissue paper reveals a pattern of a Bleeding Heart flower to me:
The Swedish Tracing paper held more ink so I got an extra print on tissue paper:
Lastly, the deli paper experiment:
What I learned:
- The deli paper dries the fastest so don’t let it dry too long or I won’t be able to unfold it.
- Tissue paper is difficult to unfold wearing plastic gloves. 😉
- I like the results best when I add more than one color of ink.
- Make sure my rubber bands aren’t too old. If they break, ink can splatter everywhere…
- Protect my surface with a piece of paper and my hands with gloves since India ink is permanent.
- Be open to the unexpected!
I hope you enjoyed seeing the results of my experiments today! I look forward to hearing what you think.
P.S. Next week I will show you examples of how I used these experiments in my art.